The Culinary Showcase was produced by the Starfish Cafe in partnership with The Arts, Hancock County!
Who's the Sweetest of the South? Amateur chefs brought their strongest contender to the Sweets of the South competition during ArtsAlive! 2014. Bragging rights and cash prizes went to the top three winners. Candies, cakes, puddings, the sky was the limit!
Our three celebrity judges picked the top three entries beginning at 1:30pm on Saturday, March 20th. Entries were judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%), and taste (50%). Top three prize winners took home awards of $250, $100 and $50!
Afterward, 50 lucky People's Choice judges (members of the public, given a judge's badge on a first come, first serve basis) sampled bite-sized portions of all the entries and selected a People's Choice winner, who got a ribbon and some serious bragging rights!
ALERT: Due to judging time constraints only the first 20 entries will be accepted - so don't delay!
Culinary Showcase Prize Winners 2014
- Deadline to enter: March 18th, but only the first twenty applicants will be accepted.
- To enter, you should be available serve your dessert at the competition site (The Starfish Café, 211 Main St., Bay St. Louis), Saturday, March 22nd, from 1pm – 4pm.
- Submit application with $25 entry fee (cash or check. Your entry fee is a tax-deductible donation to the Starfish Café) at the Starfish Cafe.
- On Saturday, March 21st you will bring your specialty “Southern Sweet” to the Starfish Café, where tents and tables will be set up.
- Your dessert should be large enough to serve a MINIMUM of 50 (FIFTY) bite-sized portions.
- Desserts will be assigned a number, 1- 20.
- At 3 pm, our three local celebrity chef judges will sample and judge all dessert entries.
- Entries will be judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%) and taste (50%)
- When judges have tallied their scores, winners will be announced.
- Cash prizes for the professional judging are: 1st prize - $250, 2nd prize - $100, 3rd prize - $50.
- After results of the professional judging are announced and winners are photographed, a second judging will take place for “People’s Choice Awards.”
- Entrants will serve their desserts in 50 small portion cups and distribute them to People’s Choice Judges when shown a People’s Choice Judging Badge.
- The first fifty members of the public who fill out a People’s Choice Judging Badge will move from entrant to entrant and be handed a portion cup with a sampling of each dessert entry.
- After sampling all desserts, People’s Choice Judges will vote for their favorite. Each judge will only be allowed a single vote after turning in their badge
- Votes will be tallied, and the entry with the most votes will be announced as People’s Choice Winner.
- People’s Choice winner will receive a ribbon and serious bragging rights.
- This contest is open to non-professional cooks and chefs only.