The Culinary Showcase was produced by the Serious Bread in partnership with The Arts, Hancock County!
Serious Salsa Down South
Amateur chefs will bring their strongest contender to the Serious Salsa competition during ArtsAlive! 2017. Bragging rights and cash prizes will go to the top three winners. Spice it up, sweeten it, whatever your secret, we want you to show it off!
Our three chef judges will pick the top three entries beginning at 2 pm on Saturday, March 18th. Entries are judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%), and taste (50%). Top three prize winners will take home awards of $150, $100 and $50!
Afterward, 50 lucky People's Choice judges (members of the public, given a judge's badge on a first come, first serve basis) sampled bite-sized portions of all the entries and selected a People's Choice winner, who gets a ribbon, $50, and some serious bragging rights!
ALERT: Due to judging time constraints only the first 10 entries will be accepted - so don't delay!
Click inside Application Box to scroll down and complete the Form
- Deadline to enter: March 17th, but only the first ten applicants will be accepted.
- To enter, you should be available serve your dish at the competition site (Serious Bread 131 Main St., Bay St. Louis), Saturday, March 18th, from 1 pm – 2 pm. Please arrive early and be prepared to present at 1pm.
- Submit application with $10 entry fee (cash or check) or online. Your entry fee is a tax-deductible donation to The Arts, Hancock County.
- On Saturday, March 18th you will bring your specialty “Serious Salsa” Serious Bread, where tents and tables will be set up.
- Your salsa should be large enough to serve a MINIMUM of 50 (FIFTY) bite-sized portions. Bring your favorite chips OR we will provide chips.
- Desserts will be assigned a number, 1- 20.
- At 2 pm, our three local celebrity chef judges will sample and judge all salsa entries.
- Entries will be judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%) and taste (50%)
- When judges have tallied their scores, winners will be announced.
- Cash prizes for the professional judging are: 1st prize - $150, 2nd prize - $100, 3rd prize - $50.
- After results of the professional judging are announced and winners are photographed, a second judging will take place for “People’s Choice Awards.” $50 award.
- Entrants will serve their desserts in 50 small portion cups and distribute them to People’s Choice Judges when shown a People’s Choice Judging Badge.
- The first fifty members of the public who fill out a People’s Choice Judging Badge will move from entrant to entrant and be handed a portion cup with a sampling of each salsa entry.
- After sampling all salsa, People’s Choice Judges will vote for their favorite. Each judge will only be allowed a single vote after turning in their badge
- Votes will be tallied, and the entry with the most votes will be announced as People’s Choice Winner.
- People’s Choice winner will receive a ribbon, $50, and serious bragging rights.
- This contest is open to non-professional cooks and chefs only.