The Culinary Showcase was produced by Lulu's on Main in partnership with The Arts, Hancock County!
Who's the Sweetest of the South? Amateur chefs will bring their strongest contender to the Sweets of the South competition during ArtsAlive! 2016. Bragging rights and cash prizes will go to the top three winners. Candies, cakes, puddings, the sky is the limit!
Our three celebrity judges will pick the top three entries beginning at 3 pm on Saturday, March 19th. Entries are judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%), and taste (50%). Top three prize winners will take home awards of $250, $100 and $50!
Afterward, 50 lucky People's Choice judges (members of the public, given a judge's badge on a first come, first serve basis) sample bite-sized portions of all the entries and select a People's Choice winner, who gets a ribbon and some serious bragging rights!
ALERT: Due to judging time constraints only the first 10 entries will be accepted - so don't delay!
2016 Culinary Showcase Prize sponsors
$50 People's Choice
Click inside Application Box to scroll down and complete the Form
- Deadline to enter: March 17th, but only the first ten applicants will be accepted.
- To enter, you should be available serve your dessert at the competition site (LuLu's On Main, 126 Main St., Bay St. Louis), Saturday, March 19th, from 3 pm – 4:30 pm. Please arrive early and be ready to present by 3pm.
- Submit application with $10 entry fee (paypal, cash or check). Your entry fee is a tax-deductible donation to The Arts, Hancock County.
- On Saturday, March 19th you will bring your specialty homemade dessert to LuLu's On Main, where tables will be set up.
- Your dessert should be large enough to serve a MINIMUM of 50 (FIFTY) bite-sized portions.
- Desserts will be assigned a number, 1- 10
- At 3 pm, our three local celebrity chef judges will sample and judge all dessert entries.
- Entries will be judged on presentation (25%), originality (25%) and taste (50%)
- When judges have tallied their scores, winners will be announced.
- Cash prizes for the professional judging are: 1st prize - $250, 2nd prize - $100, 3rd prize - $50.
- After results of the professional judging are announced and winners are photographed, a second judging will take place for “People’s Choice Award".
- Entrants will serve their desserts in 50 small portion cups and distribute them to People’s Choice Judges when shown a People’s Choice Judging Badge.
- The first fifty members of the public who fill out a People’s Choice Judging Badge will move from entrant to entrant and be handed a portion cup with a sampling of each dessert entry.
- After sampling all desserts, People’s Choice Judges will vote for their favorite. Each judge will only be allowed a single vote after turning in their badge
- Votes will be tallied, and the entry with the most votes will be announced as People’s Choice Winner.
- People’s Choice winner will receive a ribbon and serious bragging rights.
- This contest is open to non-professional cooks and chefs only.