This event is produced by the Mockingbird Cafe in Partnership with The Arts, Hancock County.
Mississippi is the birthplace of the blues, and the Gulf Coast is home to some of the hottest talent in the South. The Singer-Songwriter Showcase at the Mockingbird Cafe (110 South Second Street) gave the public a chance to hear live performances by contest semi- finalists as they competed from noon until 5pm on Saturday, March 21st, during ArtsAlive! 2015.
At 5:30, the five Finalists were announced and beginning at 6pm, each had twenty minutes on stage to strut their stuff during the “Play-Offs,” in the sizzling finale event of ArtsAlive 2015! Winners were announced 15 minutes after the last Finalist performed. The top three winners took home cash prizes of $250, $100 and $50 – and lots of new fans! See the winners below!
2014 Songwriter showcase Prize Winners!
- Deadline to enter: March 8th
- To enter, you should be available to perform at the Mockingbird Café on Saturday, March 21st, anywhere from noon – 8pm.
- Submit a copy of this application, a SASE, a check for $25 (made out to the Mockingbird Café) and a CD with one song or more songs on it WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY YOU. Judges will be looking for standout songs. Production values of CD won’t be considered in initial judging. A song recorded on your Iphone in your living room will carry as much weight as a professionally mastered CD featuring a full band.
- If the CD you submit has several songs on it, tell us which TWO you want us to listen to for the initial judging. You must have written the song and must be singing lead vocals on that song for it to qualify. Use the form below to list up to two titles.
- On the basis of the CDs submitted, up to twenty (20) semi-finalists will be selected.
- Semi-finalists will be assigned a 15-minute time slot between noon and 5pm on Saturday, March 22nd to perform one or two of their own songs.
- For each semi-finalist, we’re allotting three minutes for set up, seven minutes to perform and three minutes for tear-down. Performers will be STRICTLY LIMITED TO SEVEN MINUTES.
- Performed songs aren’t required to be the same ones submitted on CD
- Five Finalists will be announced at 5:30pm.
- Each of the five finalists will be given UP TO 20 minutes to perform during The Showcase Play-Offs, performance order determined by drawing. Finalists may perform as many songs as they can fit into the 20-minute time period, but all songs must have been written by performer. It’s OK to repeat any you performed earlier in the day. Finalists are not required to perform for the full 20-minutes.
- Winners will be announced fifteen minutes after last Finalist performance.
- Prizes: $250, $100, and $50.
- You may perform with one other person maximum and that person must be co-writer of the song.
- PA system provided with two mikes and two plug-ins for guitars or other instruments. Please list instruments other than guitar you will be playing (electronic keyboard, etc.). Contestants MUST SUPPLY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS.
- Not responsible for weather. Should contest be cancelled or interrupted because of weather, prize money will be donated to The Arts, Hancock County and be allotted to double prize money for 2015 Singer-Songwriter Showcase
- This is a family event. At the judge’s discretion, any offensive material performed will result in immediate termination of participation in the event and forfeiture of all fees.